Massaged Kale Salad
Ingredients: Serves 2-3
1 bunch of kale (cleaned, stalks removed and cut into bite sized pieces)
Juice of ½ lemon, 1 lime, ½ orange, or ½ tangerine OR try a combination of your favorite citrus
¼ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
Drizzle of organic olive oil (~2 tsp)
De-stem the kale leaves from the stem by simply placing your index finger and middle finger (in the shape of a claw), and “claw” down the center of the leaf to de-stem while simultaneously pulling the leaf away from you with your other hand.
2. In a large bowl, combine the de-stemmed kale leaves with the remaining ingredients.
3. Lightly pour an additional 1 tsp. of olive oil onto your hands to coat.
4. Using a massaging action (similar to kneading bread dough), start to tear the leaves apart and massage.
5. Continue massaging for about 2-5 minutes or until the leaves are softened, the leaves will also turn a more vibrant green and appear shiny.
6. Use this as a salad base for the week! Add toppings of your choice for a complete meal.
· Roasted delicata squash, blueberries, toasted sunflower seeds, cooked salmon, and blueberry dressing (blend: 1/4 C. blueberries, 1/4 C. olive oil, 2 tsp. raw honey, 1/4 C. apple cider vinegar,1/4 tsp. salt and pepper)
· Strawberries, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and grilled chicken with basil dressing (1 C. basil, ½ C. olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, ¼ tsp. salt)
· Cherry tomatoes, zucchini, chickpeas and vegan Caesar dressing (3 Tbsp. hemp seeds, 1/2 avocado, 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, garlic or chives optional)