St Patrick’s Day Mocktails
St Patrick’s Day is one of Chicago’s favorite holidays. Nothing says “luck of the Irish” quite like the bright green river!
The Irish have celebrated St Patrick’s Day for thousands of years as a religious holiday. The day honors the death of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.
As tradition goes, the celebration of St. Patty’s Day was a day to set aside Lenten restrictions on food and alcohol. This sheds some light on why excessive drinking and indulgence have become a permanent highlight on this popular day.
If you are cutting back on your drinking, you may feel left out when it comes to bar crawls flowing with Guiness and green beer.
No need to look under a rainbow for healthier inspiration! These delicious mocktail recipes and alcohol alternatives are a party-friendly way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day:
Pot of Gold Faux-Mimosa
This is a delish option for a St. Patrick’s Day brunch or early-day sip. The recipe makes 4 drinks, perfect to share with friends or family!
- 8 oz orange Juice
- 8 oz sparkling white grape juice
- Splash of grapefruit juice
- Thyme sprigs
How to make:
- Using 4 champagne flutes, poor 2 oz of orange juice into each glass.
- Top off with the sparkling grape juice, leaving room at the top of each glass.
- Add a splash of grapefruit juice to each drink and stir gently.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme and grapefruit wedge and serve!
Lucky Lime Sherbet Punch
This delicious drink is a refreshing and energizing option to consume in honor of St. Patrick. This recipe makes a larger batch of drinks that is perfect for serving a crowd!
- 2 packages of Vital Proteins lemon-lime electrolyte drink power (or a similar powder from a different brand)
- 1 46 ounce can of pineapple juice, chilled
- 2 quarts cold water
- 3 cans of Olipop Ginger Lemon sparkling tonic (or a similar healthy Ginger Lemon drink)
- Lime Sherbet
How to Make:
- Add all of the ingredients except the sherbet in a large punch bowl. The recipe can also be split between two large pitchers. Stir gently to combine.
- When serving, fill the glass 2/3 of the way full. Add a scoop of the lime sherbet to finish. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Rookie.
St. Patty’s Day Surprise
This drink offers a fruity option to cheers to the Irish. This drink is served individually, so perfect for celebrating with a smaller group!
- 2/3 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup sparkling water
- 1 lime wedge
- ¼ teaspoon green spirulina
- Crushed ice
- Ice cubes, for shaking
- Mint leaves or lime wedges for garnish
How to Make:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the grapefruit juice and sparkling water.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime wedge into the shaker and add the spirulina.
- Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker begins to sweat.
- Pour into a glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish accordingly and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sober Julie.
Thoughtful Drinking All Year Long
If you are looking to limit your alcohol intake beyond St. Patricks Day or are interested in other healthy lifestyle changes, our team of Functional Medicine Providers and Registered Dietitians are here to help you optimize your health!