As Spring approaches, many of us feel the need to undergo the annual task of “Spring Cleaning.” Spring cleaning can be applied to many different things – cleaning our homes, getting in better shape, and even cleaning your body from the inside, out.
If you are looking to refresh your wellness routine this spring, here are some of our favorite spring health habits:
- Detox – If you are looking to jumpstart your body’s’ natural spring cleaning abilities, you might consider a detox. Our 21-Day Detox is a simple and effective detoxification program that is founded in science-based nutrition and offers a community of support that includes one-on-one time with Functional Medicine professionals and guidance from our registered nutritionist.
- Acupuncture – In Traditional Chinese Medicine, spring cleaning is associated with the liver. Which is why it is the perfect time to partake in a body cleanse. Using acupuncture for allergies has become a popular, drug-free treatment option for people who experience itchy, watery eyes, sneezing and nasal congestion caused by seasonal allergies. This treatment method is gaining popularity because results for relief can be almost instantaneous, side effects are minimal, and when used with consistency, acupuncture may work to prevent allergies in the first place.
- Food Sensitivity Test – A food sensitivity test can offer your body a refresh from foods that may be impacting you adversely. Food sensitivities can develop at any time during the course of our lives and can often be hard to pin point without professional guidance. Sometimes we instantly know that a certain type of food simply “doesn’t sit right with us,” but food sensitivities can be hidden in even the healthiest of foods. Symptoms and reactions can also be delayed by hours – even days, which often makes it tricky to identify the exact culprit. This explains why many people with food sensitivities suffer from unexplained symptoms.
- Try a New Exercise – With a new season on the horizon, it’s always a great idea to switch up your workout routine and try new things. This is a great way to increase blood flow and productivity. Exercise can also improve sleep habits! Our Physical Medicine team is here to help eliminate any pain that is keeping you from being active. For amazing workout gear, visit our friends at Fleet Feet!
- Bring Spring Into Your Diet – Spring is also a fantastic time to cleanse with food. As Chicagoans know, it can be challenging to get a range of fresh produce in the cold winter months. Spring is the time to thrive! Many of our favorite fruits and veggies can be found organically and locally grown in the springtime. See below for some of our favorite spring-time items.
Some of our favorites are:
Beets: These incredible veggies are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals
Celery: Great for juicing and starting the day
Zucchini: A low carb veggie to make pasta with
Naturally fermented sauerkraut: Probiotics are phenomenal for gut health
Onions and garlic: Two fantastic ways to season foods without extra added sodium
About Functional Medicine
Our Functional Medicine team are the experts on getting you on the right path when it comes to meeting your goals. Functional Medicine is an approach to healthcare that seeks to identify and address the root cause of health concerns, illness and disease. Practitioners of functional medicine conduct thorough histories and utilize specialized tests in order to understand the unique interactions between a patient’s genetics, environment, and lifestyle factors that influence health. Treatment is individualized and cooperative and is designed to not just relieve symptoms, but promote and optimize wellness. The goal of Functional Medicine is to assess the root cause of your problems, and then to help affect a sustainable lifestyle change so you can lead a happier healthier life. To learn more, book an appointment, or purchase your 21-day detox kit click here.