Did you know supplements can be a great ally for your lung health?
Chicago’s air quality has been assessed for the past day as a global worst. Knowing air quality will begin improving this evening may help you breathe easier. But you may still be wondering how you can continue to promote respiratory health.
Our Functional Medicine providers & Clinical Nutrition team often utilize nutrition to help patients maintain good health and prevent a range of issues.
Poor air quality can cause a range of health issues -including difficulty breathing, low energy, respiratory illnesses, dizziness, headaches, worsening of allergies, worsening of skin conditions, and cardiovascular illnesses.
Individuals with asthma, lung conditions, allergies, the elderly, and those grieving are considered vulnerable. However, poor air quality impacts everyone’s health.
Here’s a look at supplements that may improve lung health and reduce inflammation:
- Antioxidants like vitamins C, E, and A, along with minerals like Zinc and Selenium, have been shown to support respiratory health.
- Omega-3s are known for their anti-inflammatory properties, and Magnesium can help improve lung function.
- Turmeric, a powerful anti-inflammatory, can help soothe irritated respiratory tracts.
- Bromelain, found in pineapples, may aid in reducing mucus and congestion.
- Quercetin, a potent antioxidant, may assist in protecting lung tissue from damage.
- Rising rates of asthma may be partially due to a deficiency of vitamin D which is essential for lung and immune system development. According to The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI), children tend to spend more time indoors compared to previous generations. This reduces their exposure to sunlight and vitamin D production.
- There are a variety of herbs that can help clear the airways as well. Our Acupuncture department is well-versed in the practice of herbal medicine and able to customize a formula to meet your body’s unique needs!
Remember, supplements should never replace recommendations for avoiding poor air quality.
While a balanced diet is the ideal form of receiving the top nutrients your body craves, supplementing with the guidance of a professional can ensure you are safely and effectively overcoming deficiencies and addressing underlying imbalances.
Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen. This information is not a substitute for medical advice.
Connect with our team of healthcare providers to get started on a customized treatment plan that unlocks your body’s natural potential to heal and thrive.Schedule an Appointment