Fall weather is here! Finally, you can feel normal drinking your PSL – or fave pumpkin product of choice – with the cozy comfort that comes with the season of football games, apple picking, corn mazes, and leaf raking.
While we look forward to the sweet indulgences the season offers, it’s easy to go over board with extra sugar that most pumpkin spice products sneak in. (Depending on your order preferences, a 16oz PSL may have 50 grams of sugar and 420 calories!) That’s why we’re putting the GF (Gluten-Free) and the PF (Paleo-Friendly) into our PSL recipe. Our healthy version is fun to make at home, tastes delicious, and will satisfy any PSL craving!
Speaking of those cravings, in case you are curious here are some Fun (and slight crazy) facts about the Pumpkin Spice craze:
- Pumpkin is a nutrient-dense food and one of the best-known sources of the antioxidant beta-carotene.
- After ingested, beta-carotene (which gives pumpkins their vibrant color) is converted into vitamin A which is important for several bodily functions including vision, the immune system, and reproduction.
- Starbucks has sold 200 million Pumpkin Spice Lattes in the drink’s first decade.
- While pumpkin spice products have exploded into all retail areas, not all are equally “pumpkiny.” Many pumpkin flavored products may have “pumpkin powder” or other spices but actually lack pumpkin as main ingredient.
- Beyond tasting yummy, pumpkin spice products trigger our nostalgia for comforting experience – like memories of baking pie with grandma. (Don’t blame Starbucks if you are hooked, your brain is already hardwired to love them!)
If you’re trying to stay on top of your health goals – or felt out of the latte loop because of a food sensitivity or diet restrictions, you can get your PSL fix, guilt-free, with this healthy twist!
Aligned Pumpkin Spice Latte
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (Aroy-D)
1/2 cup coconut water (Harmless Harvest) or filtered water
1-2 tbsp. Grade B Maple Syrup (optional)
1 cup hot brewed coffee
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Upgrade it: Add 1 serving collagen, 1 TBSP MCT oil and skip the maple syrup.
Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth. No Blender? No Problem – simply whisk the ingredients together in a pan over medium heat on the stove!
Adjust flavor to taste, serve warm.